Saturday, June 14, 2008

U.S. Open 2008 - Torrey Pines



It was a foggy and windy at the US Open today, but thousands of people crowded the course at the Torrey Pines North. This was my first experience at a major PGA event and I was impressed. In order to get a glimpse of Tiger, my group went three holes ahead of him and we found a nice spot on a hill. As the minutes passed, the intermittent cheers from the distance grew louder and louder, and I finally saw the swarm. Hundreds of people formed an impenetrable barrier next to the rope lines surrounding the fairway as Tiger walked towards his ball. The energy created by his very presence is inescapable; he has this super-magnetic force that attracts crowds in seconds.

After Tiger finished the hole, it seemed like a ghost town at the 5th, so we headed out. I strolled out to the driving range to rest on the bleachers and was surprised to see The Masters and PGA Championship winner, Vijay Singh, hitting balls. One after another, he drove the balls down range. I was in awe of his talent!

No comments: