Saturday, June 14, 2008

Conversation with Betsy Flanagan


Today, I spoke with Betsy Flannagan (founder of StartupStudio.com) for an hour about my "Game Plan" and business ideas. After graduating from Harvard with a degree in anthropology and getting her MBA at UVA, she built and sold businesses and developed StartupStudio.com, which features interviews with many successful entrepreneurs. Our conversation went great! She was fabulous to speak with and she offered valuable insight into my career path, business ideas, and my life.

"By 11:59 PM on the 31st day of December 2018, when I am 34 years old, I will own a business that does $1,000,000 in revenue," I wrote in my Game Plan. She responded, "You should think bigger!" I was trying to be "realistic" with my goals, but her advice reminds me of a quote, "Whether you think you can or cannot, either way, you are correct." The reality of our goals, it seems, is largely structured by our frame of mind.

I am very thankful that she took the time out of her Friday afternoon to speak with someone she did not know for an hour. Her example taught me a valuable lesson in giving to others and taking the time to invest in the future of others.

This experience also showed me that people are usually willing to help and advise, you just have to reach out and ask for it.

No comments: