Wednesday, June 18, 2008

And I'm off...



It's minutes before I get off work here at City Hall to embark on the Oriental Express. Last night, to be honest, I got a little anxious about the upcoming adventure. Although I will meet someone at the airport on Friday, Saturday and Sunday are wide-open and I have no clue what I will be doing--and no cell phone.

Speaking of cell phones, I strolled down to the local FedEx office today to drop off my phone and camera. Within minutes of doing so, I began experiencing withdrawal symptoms from not having my Crackberry. My hands began shaking uncontrollably and I found myself reaching for the phone on my hip, only to be disappointed by its absence. How will my life continue? I no longer have information at my fingertips. I can no longer check my email 100 times per day to see if someone, by chance, has written me. I feel helpless.

Despite the cell-phone withdrawal symptoms, however, my spirits are high because I've eaten carne asada burritos for the past two days. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Well, this quick note must come to an end. I'm off to LAX to find a comfortable chair to sleep in while I wait for my flight tomorrow morning at 7 am.
----
Within hours (ok, 13 hours), we will be landing in Shanghai. It's impossible to ignore the gravity of the new life that awaits me and it's really starting to sink-in. I don't speak or read the language; I don't know anyone; the culture is completely unfamiliar; I don't have a computer or cell phone; I'm starting a new job; and I'm half-a-world away from family and friends. Anxiety levels, however, are stabilizing. All of these challenges excite me, actually. This time away will be an incredible opportunity for personal growth and reflection upon my values, culture, and life, in general.

No comments: